[EM] [CES #4435] Looking at Condorcet - Runoffs

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Feb 5 11:07:55 PST 2012

FPTP brings us runoffs because they have a need - their voters can
like more than one but cannot vote for more than one in any election.
Majority makes sense for them and they can force that by selecting
among only two in a runoff.

Runoffs are expensive for all involved, so it is not clear that a
majority should be demanded in methods such as Condorcet that allow
more complete expression and counting of desires in the main election.

Some, to compete among methods, would combine selected methods for a
test election, and use a runoff if the methods disagreed as to winner.
.     I do not object to such for the purpose of testing methods, but
do object to imposing it on voters in an otherwise normal election -
it adds unneeded complications for those voters.

Dave Ketchum