[EM] [CES #4433] Looking at Condorcet - Recounting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Feb 5 12:01:56 PST 2012

I believe this topic needs more thought.

Ability to do accurate recounts should be considered essential.
Sooner or later counters will be tempted to "adjust" counts to help
achieve desired wins - we should consider it unacceptable to tempt
them by letting them hide evidence of such.

Recounts do not have to recount entire ballots.  If suspicious as to
major candidates A and B in Condorcet. look at which of these is
ranked highest but, having found one, not necessary to check whether
that voter ranked the other some place lower.

If counts are reported by such as precinct, as in Condorcet, counts
that look "odd" are the most likely locations of trouble.

Dave Ketchum