[EM] An ABE solution

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 08:48:38 PST 2011

That's weaker than the FBC. The FBC says you shouldn't have to betray your
favorite to get a result you prefer, not that you shouldn't have to betray
your favorite to get your favorite.

To restate it in Kristofer's terms:
Say an election elects X != Y. Now take a ballot which does not rate Y top
or equal-top. There must be some way to replace that with a ballot which
ranks Y top or equal-top and still get an election which elects either X or
Y.

That is, for any result you can get with favorite betrayal, either you can
get that same result without favorite betrayal, or you can get your
favorite without favorite betrayal.

I do like having this "backwards" formulation of the criterion; it might
make proving FBC easier in some cases. So thank you, Kristofer, for the
idea.

Jameson