[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative 2

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Mon Dec 22 17:56:03 PST 2008

Dave,

I think you make a common semantic manipulation about the nature of a
Condorcet winner (particularly in a "weak" CW example) by using the term
"wins by a majority." In fact, each of the separate and distinct pairwise
"majorities" may consist largely of different voters, rather than any
solid majority. This is why I think the Mutual-Majority Criterion is a
more useful criterion. In a crowded field, a weak CW may be a
little-considered candidate that every voter ranks next to last.  The
phrase "wins by a majority" creates the image in the reader's mind of a
happy satisfied group of voters (that is more than half of the electors),
who would feel gratified by this election outcome. In fact, in a weak CW
situation, every single voter could feel the outcome was horrible if the
CW is declared elected. Using a phrase like "wins by a majority" creates
the false impression that a majority of voters favor this candidate OVER
THE FIELD of other candidates AS A WHOLE, whereas NO SUCH MAJORITY
necessarily exist for there to be a Condorcet winner. The concept of
Condorcet constructs many distinct majorities, who may be at odds, and
none of which actually need to like this Condorcet winner. I am not
arguing that the concept of "Condorcet winner" is not a legitimate
criterion, just that its normative value is artificially heightened by
saying the candidate "wins by a majority" when no such actual solid
majority needs to exist.

Terry Bouricius