[EM] Why I think IRV isn't a serious alternative 2

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Mon Dec 22 20:04:55 PST 2008

Seems the thoughts can be split.
      The examples under discussion were a very limited subset of what is
possible:  A majority preferred M>R, and another majority preferred M>D
(knowing this much, comparing R vs D does not matter).
      Other elections could have had more interesting rankings, and perhaps
have required more complex thoughts as to majorities - such as you write of.

Stretched thought:  "In a crowded field, a weak CW may be a
little-considered candidate that every voter ranks next to last."

Look at the ranking of such a CW - hard to get to be liked better than the
opposition when the opposition often ranks higher:
      x>CW - counted for every voter for every candidate ranked above CW.
      x=CW - not counted (mostly for pairs where a voter did not rank either).
      CW>x - counted where a voter ranked x below CW, or did not rank x.

DWK

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:56:03 -0500 Terry Bouricius wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I think you make a common semantic manipulation about the nature of a
> Condorcet winner (particularly in a "weak" CW example) by using the term
> "wins by a majority." In fact, each of the separate and distinct pairwise
> "majorities" may consist largely of different voters, rather than any
> solid majority. This is why I think the Mutual-Majority Criterion is a
> more useful criterion. In a crowded field, a weak CW may be a
> little-considered candidate that every voter ranks next to last.  The
> phrase "wins by a majority" creates the image in the reader's mind of a
> happy satisfied group of voters (that is more than half of the electors),
> who would feel gratified by this election outcome. In fact, in a weak CW
> situation, every single voter could feel the outcome was horrible if the
> CW is declared elected. Using a phrase like "wins by a majority" creates
> the false impression that a majority of voters favor this candidate OVER
> THE FIELD of other candidates AS A WHOLE, whereas NO SUCH MAJORITY
> necessarily exist for there to be a Condorcet winner. The concept of
> Condorcet constructs many distinct majorities, who may be at odds, and
> none of which actually need to like this Condorcet winner. I am not
> arguing that the concept of "Condorcet winner" is not a legitimate
> criterion, just that its normative value is artificially heightened by
> saying the candidate "wins by a majority" when no such actual solid
> majority needs to exist.
>
> Terry Bouricius

                  If you want peace, work for justice.