[EM] A new simulation

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Thu Dec 4 14:15:45 PST 2008

Peter Barath wrote:
>> 1. Random Ballot performs quite well: On average, the Random Ballot
>> lottery achieved 93.7% the total utility of the option with the
>> largest total utility, and 98.4% the Gini welfare value of the
>> option with the largest Gini welfare value.
>> In only 5% of all situations, this measure of relative
>> performance was less than 88.3% resp. 94.5%!
>
> I don't feel so happy about it. We should care not only for
> how a method influences the result but also for how a method
> influences what the options will be. In a real world, if we
> used Random Ballot, on many ballot paper's first option would
> be: "I become dictator" so we would end up soon having
> a dictator.

A single election wouldn't grant anyone dictatorial powers (unless he
managed to grab a supermajority of the parliament or whatnot and get
himself an Enabling Act).

If you think the risk is too great even so, have a preface adjustment
where all candidates that fall below a threshold of first votes are
eliminated. The threshold should be very low, say 10. This will
introduce some compromising incentive, but again, that incentive should
be very slight.