[EM] Double Defeat Hare

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 24 18:59:29 PDT 2024

> On 6/23/2024 8:34 PM, Kevin Venzke wrote:
> >/Double Defeat,Hare means you form a candidate ranking using the IRV
> elimination order and then you elect the first (i.e. best,
> last-eliminated) candidate in the ranking who is permissible under
> Chris Benham's Double Defeat criterion. The criterion says you can't
> be elected if you have less approval than a candidate who pairwise
> defeats you. /
> So the "Double Defeat,Hare" method requires that each voter indicate an
> approval cutoff within their ranked choice ballot?
>
> So we cannot use the Double Defeat,Hare method on the Burlington
> election data, right?
>
> How would the Approval cutoff be indicated on a ranked choice ballot on
> which the voter marks ovals in "choice" columns?  I'm asking because
> that's the only kind of ballot used here in Oregon, where everyone votes
> at home.

Richard,

The answer to your first two questions is yes, but maybe in the case of
the Burlington election data we can make reasonable or plausible
speculations about where the voters might have put their approval cutoffs.

In answer to your last question, one possible option would be to have
the approval cutoff listed as one the candidates, maybe named "Approve
none below".  Ballots that truncate this "candidate" would be counted as
approving all the candidates they do rank.

This is fine by me, except that if there aren't enough "ovals" to allow
voters to strictly rank as many candidates as they like, this extra
"candidate" will  somewhat exacerbate that problem.

Am I right is guessing these ballots are counted by some machine that
wouldn't be interested in any marks outside the ovals? Googling around I
found this interview with a couple of  "Ranked Choice Voting" for Oregon
promoters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9xbBHan07U

The discussion isn't very technical or "neutral".  Don't you know the
RCV magically elects more "people of colour", young people and women?
I suppose it may in practice and if that motivates people to vote for it
that is a good thing.

Chris B.