[EM] Double Defeat Hare

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Mon Jun 24 09:41:21 PDT 2024

On 6/23/2024 8:34 PM, Kevin Venzke wrote:
> Double Defeat,Hare means you form a candidate ranking using the IRV elimination order and then you elect the first (i.e. best, last-eliminated) candidate in the ranking who is permissible under Chris Benham's Double Defeat criterion. The criterion says you can't be elected if you have less approval than a candidate who pairwise defeats you.

So the "Double Defeat,Hare" method requires that each voter indicate an
approval cutoff within their ranked choice ballot?

So we cannot use the Double Defeat,Hare method on the Burlington
election data, right?

How would the Approval cutoff be indicated on a ranked choice ballot on
which the voter marks ovals in "choice" columns?  I'm asking because
that's the only kind of ballot used here in Oregon, where everyone votes
at home.

Since Ted mentioned the RCIPE method (ranked choice including pairwise
elimination), I'll mention the RCIPE method does not require an approval
cutoff, and the RCIPE method would have elected the Condorcet winner in
the Burlington election.

Richard Fobes
(now the only Richard on the E-M list)
(FYI, I include "the VoteFair guy" as part of my email address to help
someone scan the large number of election-method emails she gets in her
inbox.)