[EM] Portland specifics, and ovals for approval cutoff

Richard, the VoteFair guy electionmethods at votefair.org
Sun Jun 30 10:17:17 PDT 2024

Here are answers to questions from Chris Benham.  I'm including
Portland-specific info to answer his Portland-specific comments/questions.

On 6/24/2024 6:59 PM, Chris Benham wrote:
 > ... one possible option would be to have
 > the approval cutoff listed as one the candidates,
 > maybe named "Approve none below".  Ballots that truncate
 > this "candidate" would be counted as
 > approving all the candidates they do rank.

Perhaps even better, this special row of ovals (above the candidate
ovals) could be positioned between the choice columns.  Just below each
of these special ovals would be an arrow pointing down.  The legend at
the left (just above the first candidate name) might say "approve above,
disapprove below."  In other words, the marked oval would indicate which
arrow points along the transition between approved and not-approved
candidates.

Currently, election software designers would probably claim this can't
be done.  But as election software becomes better-designed, that better
software could easily handle these ovals, even though they do not align
with the other ovals.

 > This is fine by me, except that if there aren't enough "ovals" to allow
 > voters to strictly rank as many candidates as they like, this extra
 > "candidate" will  somewhat exacerbate that problem.

When certified election software is available to correctly count
so-called "overvotes" this complication will become irrelevant.

 > Am I right is guessing these ballots are counted by some machine that
 > wouldn't be interested in any marks outside the ovals? ...

Yes, any mark that is not inside an oval is not allowed.

As a slight exception, in Oregon, if a voter marks an oval and then
decides that oval should not be marked, the voter can put a big "X"
centered on that oval and the legs of that mark do extend outside the oval.

(Of course the other exception is writing the name of a write-in
candidate, which will be allowed on our ranked choice ballot.  There
will be printed ovals for the write-in candidate.  Or maybe two
candidates.  They haven't yet revealed the final design.)

 >...  Googling around I
 > found this interview with a couple of  "Ranked Choice Voting" for
Oregon promoters:

 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9xbBHan07U

Thanks for the link to the video.  I watched it to see what voters are
being taught.

 > The discussion isn't very technical or "neutral".

Yes, so far the info going out to Portland voters about ranked choice
voting "details" is very basic.

 > Don't you know the
 > RCV magically elects more "people of colour", young people and women?
 > I suppose it may in practice and if that motivates people to
 > vote for it that is a good thing.

Any better vote-counting method will increase representation for people
who are not old, or white, or male.  That's because plurality/FPTP is
exploited to elect old white males.  Why?  Because they control the
biggest amounts of money, and it's easy to use money to exploit
plurality/FPTP elections.

Here's context for why the TV news discussion included comments about
black representation:  The protests in downtown Portland started out as
anti-Trump protests, just after he was elected.  Aside: That's why in
the presidential debate a few days ago Trump mentioned Portland as a
hellhole (or whatever).  Getting back to the protests, someone, probably
Steve Bannon, recruited MAGA folks from other states to move to
Vancouver (Washington) and shuttles were provided to shuttle those
weapon-carrying protestors across the Columbia river into downtown
Portland.  (FYI, rent is cheaper in Vancouver.)  Then months later the
protests shifted to protests against police brutality against black
people because of that pattern in Portland during the protests, and in
response to police officers killing black people in other states.  That
led to lots of "black lives matter" signs throughout Portland.  That's
why the Portland media makes a point of bringing up racial
discrimination in Portland politics.

Fun facts:  When one of the two white male Portland city-council members
tried to sabotage the STV part of ranked choice voting for electing
city-council members, he claimed our current election system already
favors minorities.  As part of his justification he counted the other
two city-council members as non-white, which they are.  But he failed to
consider that only one of the four councilors is female, even though
female voters are not a minority!  Context: She is Latina.  Shortly
after the meeting I sent him a message to point out his counting
oversight, along with why we need STV.  I don't know how much my message
to him affected his decision, but a couple of hours later he abandoned
his sabotage attempt (part of which was supported by the other
white/male councilor).  Also he got mild pushback from a an RCV election
"expert" during the meeting.  I presume the women from the League of
Women Voters sitting in a group at the back of the council chambers (but
not allowed to speak) also helped.  Not to mention other likely messages
he probably got.  I did get a reply from his admin/assistant that my
message was being forwarded to his "policy advisors."  (Probably the
people who crafted his misleading claims.)  It was the closest I've seen
to a local politician saying "oops" regarding election-method reform.

Again, thanks for your questions, and for answering my questions.

Richard Fobes