[EM] Strategy-free criterion

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 6 07:40:04 PDT 2024

Kevin,

> I would not like to see SFC as totally obsolete, since it was one of the motivating
> criteria (along with MD and weak FBC) for my methods MDDA and MAMPO :)

Inventing those methods was some achievement as a thought experiment to
demonstrate that certain criteria are mutually compatible.

But MDDA spectacularly fails the maximum-absurdity criterion
Mono-add-Plump, a very interesting fact that isn't mentioned on its
electowiki page.

https://electowiki.org/wiki/Majority_Defeat_Disqualification_Approval

>     Procedure
>
> The voter submits a ranking of the candidates. The candidates
> explicitly ranked are considered/approved/by that voter.
>
> A candidate is/dominated/if more than half of the voters rank some
> other candidate strictly above him.
>
> All dominated candidates are eliminated, unless this would eliminate
> all the candidates.
>
> Of remaining candidates, the one approved by the most voters is elected.
>

>     Criteria
>
> *MDDA*satisfies theFavorite Betrayal criterion
> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Favorite_Betrayal_criterion>,Strategy-Free
> criterion <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Strategy-Free_criterion>,
> theStrong Defensive Strategy criterion
> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Strong_Defensive_Strategy_criterion>(andMinimal
> Defense criterion
> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Minimal_Defense_criterion>),
> andmonotonicity <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Monotonicity_criterion>.
>
> It failsClone-Winner
> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Strategic_nomination>, thePlurality
> criterion <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Plurality_criterion>,
> theGeneralized Strategy-Free criterion
> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Generalized_Strategy-Free_criterion>,
> theCondorcet criterion
> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Condorcet_criterion>, theSmith criterion
> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Smith_set>,Participation
> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Participation_criterion>, theMajority
> criterion for solid coalitions
> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Majority_criterion>, andLater-no-harm
> <https://electowiki.org/wiki/Later-no-harm_criterion>.

25: A>B
26: B>C
23: C>A
04: C

78 ballots (majority threshold = 40)

B>C 51-27,   C>A 53-25,   A>B 48-26.  Implicit Approval scores: C 53,  B 51, A 48.

All the candidates have a majority-strength defeat, so none are eliminated and the most approved candidate, C, wins.

Say we now add 22 ballots that all plump (i.e. bullet vote) for C:

25: A>B
26: B>C
23: C>A
26: C

100 ballots (majority threshold = 51)

B>C 51-49,   C>A 75-25,   A>B 48-26.  Implicit Approval scores: C 75,  B 51, A 48.

Now only B is without a "majority-strength defeat", so the winner changes from C to B.

Of course the method also fails Irrelevant Ballots Independence. If we now add 3 ballots that plump for X, the majority threshold rises to 52 and so C's majority-strength defeat goes away and C wins again by being the most approved candidate.

This demonstration of Mono-add-Plump failure doesn't apply to MAMPO, but that method would also fail Irrelevant Ballots Independence. It may be far less bad.

https://electowiki.org/wiki/Majority_Approval,_Minimum_Pairwise_Opposition

>     Procedure
>
> The voter submits a ranking of the candidates. The candidates
> explicitly ranked are considered/approved/by that voter.
>
> The/score/for candidate/X/against candidate/Y/is equal to the number
> of voters ranking/X/above/Y/. The/max score/of candidate/X/is the
> largest score of any other candidate against/X/.
>
> If nobody is approved by more than half of the voters, then the
> candidate approved by the most voters is elected.
>
> Otherwise, the candidate with the lowest max score, who is approved by
> more than half of the voters, is elected.

Chris B.