[EM] Strategy-free criterion

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 09:03:15 PDT 2024

Yeah, MAMPO seems like it might behave more sensibly there.

IIB doesn’t make sense to me outside of positional voting systems (which
trivially satisfy it). If an empty ballot was genuinely intended to be
irrelevant, the voter wouldn’t have cast it in the first place. An
equal-ranking isn’t a way to express indifference (or else equal-ranks
would never happen); it’s a way of pleading the fifth. Learning that a
voter refuses to say whether they prefer Bob or Bill provides an important
piece of information.

Learning a voter has cast a completely blank ballot is an extreme case,
where the ballot provides a very important piece of information: it means
the voter expects a participation failure, because a nonempty ballot will
hurt them.

A rational response to this is to raise the threshold for a defeat, because
setting the bar for a defeat closer to 50% prevents cycles (and therefore
participation failures). In other words, these ballots are *very* relevant.