[EM] Strategy-free criterion

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 10 04:35:04 PDT 2024

CLC,

I assume no-one posts a ballot "intending to be irrelevant"  (and
whether they do or not I don't see as relevant).

Normally I wouldn't expect irrelevant ballots to be literally "empty",
just containing no information about any of the remotely viable information.

> An equal-ranking isn’t a way to express indifference (or else
> equal-ranks would never happen); it’s a way of pleading the fifth

What?

> Learning that a voter refuses to say whether they prefer Bob or Bill
> provides an important piece of information.

Which is?

> Learning a voter has cast a completely blank ballot is an extreme
> case, where the ballot provides a very important piece of information:
> it means the voter expects a participation failure, because a nonempty
> ballot will hurt them.

But an empty one might "help" them ??  Hilarious.

> A rational response to this is to raise the threshold for a defeat,
> because setting the bar for a defeat closer to 50% prevents cycles
> (and therefore participation failures). In other words, these ballots
> are /very/ relevant.

Of course, you anonymous STAR Voting advocate.

Chris B.