[EM] Open letter to STAR voting promoters

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 21:18:55 PDT 2024

wv Condorcet isn’t a method. It’s a class of Condorcet methods that resolve
circular-ties based on pairwise-defeat strengths, where the strength of a
pairwise defeat is measured by the number of people ranking the defeater
over the defeated.

It isn’t a general definition of a class that specifies requirements for
defining as-yet unspecified new members. Instead it’s a collective name for
*a few particular*methods that measure defeat-strength in that manner.

In fact, by “wv Condorcet”, I mean either RP(wv), Schulze, SSD, MinMax(wv),
& Smith//MinMax.

(…all of which have been amply defined here.)

If someone wanted a broader definition, that could be:

 A method that uses defeat-strengths, which are defined  as I described, &
has the defensive-strategy properties that I’ve specified for the
above-listed methods.

But the previous definition, as one of a certain few particular methods, is
what I mean by the term.

Yes, I blocked you, & you remain blocked.

But I’ve now blocked the most frequent posters (who never seem to stop
posting daily or nearly daily).  … & nearly all of those who post
frequently by any standard.

Sometimes there’s a topic that I want to comment on, &, when I check for
them, some blocked sender has said something that I might not have already
answered enough times yet.

:-)

Sometimes I’m too lazy, or it’s too late in the day, to do something
worthwhile, like sending a proposal or trying to organize an
initiative-committee, & so, with so little EM mail now, due to
garbage-filtering, I might check to find out if any garbage-spewers have
said something that I’ve only answered 99 times.

It’s easy enough if I’m checking for their posts in a current topic.  But
any less recent posts will be interspersed among thousands of unwanted
advertisements. …& they’re automatically deleted after a month anyway.

So it’s mostly recent garbage-posts that I ever take the time to check for.

But the important thing about this is that I’m not willing to have the
garbage-spewers’ **** dumped on my screen every day. So the blocking is
definitely serving it’s purpose.