[EM] Open letter to STAR voting promoters

Chris Benham cbenhamau at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jun 6 06:22:48 PDT 2024

Robert,

> Just because we can communicate the rule to the voters does not make it a sensible rule.

Of course, and I didn't say it did.  The person who suggested
Condorcet//Approval using ABCDEF  grading ballots didn't seem to think
this was necessary, but I would have the grades labelled "A-approve,
B-approve, C-approve, D-disapprove, E-disapprove, F-disapprove".

> I want it to be simple: "If more voters prefer A to B, let's not elect B if we can, at all, avoid it."  If we cannot avoid it, some other measure of voter support must be used.  The manner of that measure should make sense to the policy makers and the voters.  This is so that when someone loses, that candidate and the voters for that candidate can understand and accept why they lost.
Yes, that's great.

> But I would be at the other end, where I would count only the two highest-ranked candidates as "approved".
I hope you mean candidates in the two highest rating-slots, meaning in
the case of these ABCDEF ballots candidates given an A or a B.   That is
of course possible, but since Condorcet is incompatible with
Later-no-Help ranking among unapproved candidates is more suspicious
than among approved ones so I don't like forcing the voters to do most
of their ranking there (if they want to strictly rank a lot of
candidates).  So I would be more open to limiting the Disapproval slots
to just two.

> I don't want voters to have to think that they gotta calculate how to vote to promote their own political interests.
That's nice but it isn't fully possible.  All  Condorcet methods and
Hare fail Favorite Betrayal and so are vulnerable to Compromise
strategy.  All Condorcet methods are vulnerable to Burial strategy.

But the problem is much greater in some methods than in others.

Chris B.