[EM] The Schulze & RP(wv) determined to be very strongly probabilistically autodeterrent.

Closed Limelike Curves closed.limelike.curves at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 13:39:15 PST 2024

> Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. It convincingly seemed to me that
> dropping the weakest defeat in every cycle would do exactly the same as the
> Ranked-Pairs procedure, where you make a list starting with the stronger
> defeats, skipping any defeat that cycles with listed defeats.

I made this exact same mistake a couple days ago, while trying to simplify
the Wikipedia article :)

I ultimately settled on this description:
1. Sort margins by how close they are to being tied.
2. Go down the list, and cross out any pairwise matchups that would result
in a cycle.
3. (Optional) For River, also cross out "redundant" (duplicate) defeats of
the same candidate.

The advantage of River mostly seems to be that it's less vulnerable to
irrelevant alternatives. Stable voting is another refinement on RP that's
even better at this; it seems like it prioritizes crossing out pairs that
would lead to an IIA violation. But I haven't worked out a simple
explanation of it, and I'm not sure I even quite understand what it's doing
yet.