[EM] The Schulze & RP(wv) determined to be very strongly probabilistically autodeterrent.

Joshua Boehme joshua.p.boehme at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 17:13:24 PST 2024

Stable voting and split cycle are methods from the same academics (Holliday and Pacuit) that tend to behave somewhat similarly but they're not the same.

Split cycle is the one closest in spirit to ranked pairs, but it achieves its improvement in participation by sacrificing resoluteness. Not many methods can produce multiple potential winners even when both 1) there are no head to head ties and 2) the margins between candidates are all unique, but split cycle sometimes manages even in that case.

The only ways of describing stable voting I've seen are recursive (looking at subsets of the candidates). I don't know if its properties are as well understood, but my impression is that it's much, much less likely to produce multiple winners than split cycle is.