[EM] The Schulze & RP(wv) determined to be very strongly probabilistically autodeterrent.

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 04:15:24 PST 2024

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. It convincingly seemed to me that
dropping the weakest defeat in every cycle would do exactly the same as the
Ranked-Pairs procedure, where you make a list starting with the stronger
defeats, skipping any defeat that cycles with listed defeats.

Evidently not so.

The definition that I gave results, as you said, in a tie—even if all the
defeats are different magnitudes, & there are no pair-ties.

So that tie with B & C unbeaten would happen even in any big public
election.

Again, thanks for telling me about that. As you can tell, I was so sure
that I didn’t even try a multi-cycle example.

So much for my briefer RP definition-wording.

But RP still seems easier to define & explain than Beatpath/CSSD.

Also, Steve said that the RP winner usually pairbeats the Beatpath winner.

Is River as easy to define &. explain as RP?.

Fortunately,  all Condorcet(wv) methods are the same with 3 candidates. So,
in my 18 cases with only 3 candidates, my wrong definition didn’t make any
difference, with just that one cycle.

But in a larger election, the buriers might bury CW under 2 Buses, making 2
parallel cycles both involving CW & BF, but each cycle with a different Bus.

I hope that doesn’t affect RP’s autodeterence when the right definition is
used. I should try that with MinMax too.

BTW, I added 6 more cases, with the CW faction half ranking BF 2nd, & half
ranking Bus 2nd…summing to 4 ways for the CW voters to 2nd-rank:

CW>BF
CW>Bus
CW
Half each of CW>BF & CW>Bus.

It just seemed to more realistically cover how toCW voters could vote.

That brought it to 24 cases.

It raised the Bus/BF ratio from 7 up to 10.

There was a journal paper with the words “Split-Cycle” in its title. The
author defined Split-Cycle the same way as my incorrect brief RP
mis-definition. He said it was different from RP. Ain’t that the truth !

He used margins instead of wv, & claimed all sorts of fantastic
criterion-compliances for it…presumably in natural sincere circular ties.

I didn’t know what he was talking about.

Well, with luck, the autodeterence will still work , with the right RP
definition in multi-Bus examples.

Thanks again for pointing that out to me.