[EM] Poll, preliminary ballots

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Mon Apr 22 22:57:49 PDT 2024

That obviously isn't the view of FairVote. They are not friendly but the
issue is too important for me to mind that. It gives me an opportunity
to comment on what one of your colleagues and my opponents himself
admitted to be the lists bubble (or "parallel universe.") How many
people are even aware of all these systems, promoted by the list, he
wanted to know?

In my opinion IRV may well be turned against, but not in favor of the
obscure single winner alternatives, the list appears to back, but
because it is not proportional. It may be seen, eventually, that IRV
makes very little difference to the result. Then the baby of a necessary
preference vote may be thrown out with the bathwater of eliminative
counts. And America turn to the obvious (but "toxic") alternative of
European party list systems, which deny individual freedom of
representation, and are really party referendums, that don't properly
"elect" or "choose-out" representation of the people.

Condorcet pairing is treated as if it were a definitive election system
but this is not so. Two cenutries ago, Laplace refuted it, for treating
orders of choice as having the same weight.

Regards,

Richard Lung.