[EM] Simple Tournament Proposal

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 10:48:42 PDT 2023

All of this groping for a halfway decent Quick & Clean tournament method
has brought me to this:

Lacking an undefeated candidate, elect the candidate who defeats the
Defensive Champ with the most winning votes.

To define the Defensive Champ, we need to know for each pair of candidates
X and Y the number of ballots on which Y was ranked ahead of X ... this is
the Pairwise Opposition of Y against X, denoted PO(Y,X)

The MaxPO of X or MPO(X) is the greatest value of PO(Y,X) as Y ranges over
all of X's opponents. This MPO(X) is X's defensive score ... the smaller
the better ... it is the most "points" (votes) any opponent of X has made
against X in any pairwise matchup of this election.

The Defensive Champ is argminMPO(X), the candidate whose MPO value is
smaller than any other candidates MPO value.

So the Defensive Champ is the one who "lets slip" the fewest votes to any
of her opponents ... almost as if she had some psychic power to keep votes
against her from reaching the ballot box.

So this Defensive Champ is a strong candidate ... but the candidate that
overcomes that strong resistance and gets the most votes past her defense
is even stronger ... and that's the one our method chooses!

Example:

a A>B (Sincere A>C)
b B>C
c C>A

The MPO's of the respective candidates are MPO(A)=(n-a), MPO(B)=(n-b), and
MPO(C)=(n-c). So the Defensive Champ is A, assuming the A faction is
largest (emboldening the burial).

The winner is supposed to be the candidate with the strongest defeat
against the Defensive Champ A. So C is the only candidate that qualifies,
since no other candidate defeats A.

So we see that the sincere CW is restored.

Example 2.

48 C
28 A>B
24 B(Sincere B>A)

In a previous message we found that the Defensive Champ was A, who is
defeated only by C ... therefore the winner.

So the B faction's defection backfired.

So far, so good ... not at all surprising ... because I had these examples
in mind when I designed this method;-)

We need somebody to run some tests.

-Forest