[EM] Simple Tournament Proposal

Hahn, Paul manynote at wustl.edu
Wed Mar 22 07:24:50 PDT 2023

"In sports, what strategies could exist? I'd imagine something more like... team B tells team X to play badly against team C, because the tiebreaker won't make X win anyway. Thus if say, the Smith set is ABCX, then it's possible that X losing more heavily against C could make B win instead of A. That's more like compromising, but it's not quite the same thing."

AFAIK the majority of deliberate losing (or not winning as handily as one is capable) in sports are to take advantage of side bets.  I can imagine that in a double elimination tournament one might deliberately go over to the loser's bracket to avoid a team one is particularly bad against, in the hope that they'll be eliminated before you have to face them.  But that means you have to fight your way through the loser's bracket, which means more matches; I don't know that it would be worth it most of the time.

The other scenario I am aware of is that in chess and some other sports, one can lose or not win as big to avoid having your rating increased, so that (again) you get to face lesser opposition.  This definitely happens.

I'm not sure how much of this carries over to an election situation, though.

--pH