[EM] Simple Tournament Proposal

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Wed Mar 22 06:03:04 PDT 2023

On 3/22/23 05:00, Forest Simmons wrote:
> Here's my suggestion for choice of tournament champion:
>
> Lacking an undefeated team, elect the pairwise victor of the defensive
> and offensive champs.

I'll have to investigate further, but my impression from working with
burial-resistant methods is that it's impossible to make a method that's
burial resistant (in the DMTCBR sense) without using positional data.

However, another important property to note is that the modes of
strategy very much depend on how the data is gathered. In an election
situation, burial is fairly easy: just change A>X>B>C>D>E>F into
B to "strategically defeat X", e.g. to score more goals against X (or
similar) to push X further down the ranking. Presumably any team B would
be doing its best to defeat X already, so "burial" doesn't really seem
to be a strategy in sports.

Thus it's not a problem that we don't have positional data, because we
don't need to defend against that particular strategy.

In sports, what strategies could exist? I'd imagine something more
like... team B tells team X to play badly against team C, because the
tiebreaker won't make X win anyway. Thus if say, the Smith set is ABCX,
then it's possible that X losing more heavily against C could make B win
instead of A. That's more like compromising, but it's not quite the same
thing.

-km