[EM] Ultimate SPE Agenda Processing: Sink Swap Bubble

Forest Simmons forest.simmons21 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 12:19:11 PDT 2023

I think we can make this practical by restricting the runoff ballot to the
Smith set from the first ballot set: Just as a ballot CW is very likely a
sincere CW, so also Ballot Smith is likely to contain Sincere Smith.

The received wisdom seems to be that 90 percent of the time Smith is a
singleton (in public elections).

If so, probably 99.9 percent of public Smith sets are triples (cycles of
three).  Much more rare a cycle where one member of the cycle was cloned to
yield a Smith set of 5.  The twisted prism has six ... we'll never see more
than seven in a public Smith set ... and that is a perfectly practical
number for this kind of ballot.

To make the method ISDA compliant ...

If there is no ballot CW,

 (1) eliminate all the non Smith candidates and

(2) list the remaining candidates in order of minPairwiseSupport.

(3) Sink Sort this list and then ...

(4) reverse it to be used as the runoff ballot in the second round after
the instructions have been attached to it.

Publish the ballot so voters will have time to grok it ... and pundits time
to chew it over publicly.

To make the instructions as clear as possible ... "Put a check mark next to
the first candidate on the list, unless you like one of the other two
better. Also put a check mark next to your preferred of the last two
candidates.

If that is too complicated, just go back to step (4) above and replace it
with
(4') now sunk sort it again with a fresh set of preference ballots
(restricted to the Smith set from step (1)) determining the defeat matrix
for pairwise sorting purposes.

Assuming rational voters ... the head of this refried sorted list will be
the same candidate as the winner determined from the new fangled ballot.

So the two methods are the same ... which means that neither gives more
incentive than the other for insincere voting ... which was my main purpose
for creating the new tangled method.

In other words, the new method is DMC restricted to Smith ... with the
final sink sort done according to the pairwise preferences from a fresh set
of ballots!

Or you could simply say ... start with an "approval-like order" ... and
elect the lowest approval candidate that defeats every more approved
candidate ... just make sure the approval order was not determined from the
same ballots that determined the pairwise defeat relation.

-Forest