[EM] Ultimate SPE Agenda Processing: Sink Swap Bubble

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Wed Apr 12 14:44:19 PDT 2023

On 4/12/23 14:11, Forest Simmons wrote:
> OK ... lacking an ndefeated candidate to elect ...
>
> 1. Use the RCV ballot informatioren to construct an elimination agenda
> ... a list of the candidates with the less favorable near the top of the
> list, and the more favorable near the bottom.
>
> 2.This list is to be published a week or ten days before the runoff.
>
> 3. The runoff ballot is an official copy of this agenda with the
> following accompanying instructions:
>
> 4. Put a check mark next to the name of every candidate you like better
> than any of the candidates listed below it. The check mark is an
> abbreviation for BTAOTB "Better Than Any of the Below"
>
> 5. Elect the highest candidate on the list that has a BTAOTB check mark
> on more than 50% of the submitted ballots.
>
> 6. The candidate listed last (bottom) is the default winner (when no
> other candidate is preferred over "The Below" by a full majority of the
> participating voters).
>
> All registered voters should be able to  participate in this runoff,
> even if they did not participate in the first round (the check for a
> candidate undefeated pairwise).
>
> It seems to me that the simplicity and importance of the runoff would
> attract excellent participation.
>
> Thoughts and suggestions?

It seems a bit complicated and if we suppose that voters have
preferences among clones (i.e. don't consider them all equally good), it
would fail clone independence.

I would think that in a multi-way election, there would be a very low
probability that a majority would consider a single candidate to be
BTAOTB. Majority runoffs work because there are only two candidates, so
in the absence of ties, there's always a winner, but I don't think that
would generalize easily to multiple candidates. (In a way, this is the
same problem as the clone dependence one; or rather, both are effects of
the same root cause.)

I really ought to make a variation on my strategy calculator for finding
optimal methods with a honest runoff stage, but I have so many projects
already...

-km