[EM] Coombs method and typical RCV hybrid

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 12:19:39 PST 2022

Hello Culi,

I love the website. I want to second Robert's suggestion of adding a few
Condorcet methods. Condorcet methods really really really are superior.
They are the only ones that reliably produce a candidate with strong
support that everyone can live with (the Condorcet winner) and a lot of
them are surprisingly robust to strategies or other pathologies that often
creep into election systems.

You mentioned you wanted to add Copeland. Why don't you go ahead? Copeland
is one of the simplest Condorcet methods, and it is even Smith efficient.
It's main downside is that it often produces ties, so you might want to
insert a tie-breaker method (e.g. do Borda or Plurality among the Copeland
finalists). Another very simple Condorcet method is Minimax (very popular,
very easy). If you are interested in putting a little bit more work to get
the strongest possible method, I suggest you have a look at River:

https://electowiki.org/wiki/River

I *believe* River has the strongest set of election criteria that it
satisfies.

Cheers,
Daniel

--