[EM] Approval-based replacement for jungle primary

Ted Stern dodecatheon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 13:27:03 PST 2018

Hi Rob,

The thread I was referring to was actually one that included the following
comment, which introduced a complementary approval candidate similar to
your own:

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2016-November/000991.html

But my later suggestion was related, so no problem.

Regarding your modification suggestion, I'm not sure that you fixed
anything.  Including everyone above 50% approval potentially creates an
over-crowded ballot.  However, as Chris Benham states in the included post
above, Approval Winner plus complementary (or, as I like to call it,
*excluded*) approval winner could lead to Condorcet violation.

Let's imagine a Condorcet-like election with a score ballot with more than
two ratings, so it's not just approval.  Say 0 to 3, with any score above
zero indicating approval.

Infer rankings from the ratings (higher score ranks above lower score), and
tabulate the pairwise array.

Then advance the following candidates to the general election:  the Smith
set, plus the Approval winner, plus the AW-complement.  This group is
guaranteed to include the Condorcet winner, plus at least one other
candidate.  If desired, according to your criterion above, you could also
include the AW-runner-up.