[EM] Top-two Approval Pairwise Runoff (TTAPR)

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Fri Nov 11 23:18:31 PST 2016

The "deweight  to zero" option would be best for avoiding an extra easy
Push-over incentive.

With voters being allowed to rank both above and below an approval
threshold, this a one-ballot per voter and one trip
to the polling station version of an earlier suggestion of mine for a 2
trips to the polling station method using simple Approval
ballots.

But then we have a method that can badly fail Condorcet and fails FBC.

I suppose if  we don't mind a kludge fix it to meet Condorcet:

*Voters submit rankings with an approval threshold (Default is all
candidates ranked above equal-bottom are interpreted as approved).
Elect the CW if there is one.
Otherwise elect the pairwise winner between (among members of the Smith
set?)  the most approved candidate A and the candidate
most approved on ballots that don't approve A.*

Chris Benham