[EM] Introducing Pivot

Carl Schroedl carlschroedl at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 07:00:05 PST 2018

Hello Election Methods List!

Greetings from Madison, Wisconsin, USA. I’m Carl Schroedl. By day I’m a
professional software engineer. By night I volunteer on the Pivot Libre
open source project. The project has produced an open source library called
Tideman for calculating Ranked Pairs election results and an open source
web app called Pivot that lets people execute ad-hoc Ranked Pairs elections
via their web browser. I invite you to try it out here:

https://pivot.vote

If you don't want to create an account, you can simulate elections with
textual ballots here:

https://pivot.vote/open/try

It’s seeing more usage than we thought. While most usages are
non-governmental, a committee in the municipal legislature of Madison used
it to nominate an interim legislator. Since the city of Madison is
currently reevaluating its fundamentals through a Task Force on Government
Structure, I’m hoping this app encourages the adoption of alternative
voting systems. We already have a lot of tests to ensure our system is
correct, but in light of this success, we’d like to further increase our
confidence.

I know we’re not the first people to verify the correctness of their
electronic voting system, and I doubt we’ll be the last. How would list
members recommend we proceed? Julien Boudry (https://condorcet.vote) and I
were considering creating a repository of machine-readable test ballots
with expected election outcomes so that multiple projects could run the
same tests. Does such a resource exist? If not, would anyone be interested
in collaborating?

All the best,

Carl

--