[EM] GOOD voting: a brand to encompass 3-2-1, GOLD, etc.

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 12:00:25 PDT 2017

FairVote has definitely decided to say "RCV" instead of "IRV" and/or "STV".
I think it's a good idea to have a branding that encompasses both
single-winner and multi-winner reform, but the "RCV" name is fingernails on
a blackboard for me, because plenty of other systems involved ranked
choices.

So that got me thinking about making a name for the methods I'm most in
favor of these days: 3-2-1, GOLD, and 3RD. All of these methods allow
optional delegation, and have some kind of graded substrate. Thus, they're
all GOOD methods: Graded Or Optionally Delegated. (Another method that
would fit in this category is SODA.)

Marketing for GOOD methods in general would probably focus on the choice.
"Do you not trust politicians and parties? There's a GOOD way for you to
vote, without delegation. Or alternately, are you highly engaged with
politics, and excited to campaign for the best candidates, even if they may
not always win? There's a GOOD way for you, too; you can find the best
candidate and delegate to them, giving them extra exposure and bargaining
power, whether or not they win."