[EM] Alright, burial might be prohibitive problem for wv & MMPO.

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 11:35:45 PDT 2016

Of course, the fancier a method is, & the more luxury advantages it offers,
then the more potential problems can result from its more complicated
mechanism.

So it isn't so surprising that MAM & MMPO (in both it's plain & Smith
versions) make you pay for their unique strategy advantages...

...with a potentially extreme problem, in the form of the perpetual-burial
fiasco problem that started this thread.

Of course I'm not saying for sure that will happen, but it led me to call
MAM & MMPO "doubtful" proposals.

But let me mention some mitigation:

1. If that fiasco began, then maybe any voter whose favorite has any
likelihood of being CWs would use the plumping countermeasure. ...maybe to
the extent that the burial would reliably never gain anything.

If so, then maybe people wouldn't have any reason to take the trouble to
bother with the burial.

2. The fiasco scenario depends on the CWs being in the buriers' bottom-set.
That's why they're indifferent to the punitive consequences of their burial
when countermeasures are used. They don't care which bottom-set candidate
wins.

But any remote possibility of the burial defeating the CWs & electing from
the buriers' top-set, depends on the CWs's voters liking the buriers'
preferred candidate(s) enough to be inclined to rank them well.

But aren't those 2 requirements a bit mutually contradictory?

Maybe that upgrades MAM & MMPO from "doubtful" to "maybe a bit
questionable".

Maybe they're worth a try, though there'd need to be some disclosure of the
potential perpetual burial fiasco.

Michael Ossipoff