[EM] The scales of measurment determine most effective elections.

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Tue Dec 20 13:23:05 PST 2016

You are right. I stand corrected. But there are safeguards against
letting one of one's own get eliminated early.
The key paragraph from the Electoral Reform Society pdf report on the
Irish general election of 2016:
"But campaigning in Ireland can often be even more local than
this. When deploying multiple candidates in a constituency it is
advantageous for a party to 'balance' their vote. This is done by
strategically encouraging supporters to put different candidates as
their 1st preference in different areas of a constituency, in order
to make sure that candidates have relatively sizeable numbers of
votes, so that none are eliminated early on by accident."

This strategy can back-fire, presumably by over-estimating party
support. Sinn Fein tried it early in the 2000s and let in one of their
greatest opponents, a DUP candidate.