[EM] Approval ballots. Two to elect. Best method? (Andy Jennings)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Dec 3 14:42:23 PST 2015

Continuing as promised...

Now let's allow range ballots with greater resolution than mere approval
ballots.

For each w-tuple of candidates we ...

(1) first divide the ballots into two sets, the set S of ballots that have
positive support for at least one candidate of our w-tuple, and the
complementary set S' of ballots that rate every member of our w-tuple at
zero.

(2) Then we imagine an experiment of drawing a ballot B at random from the
entire set of ballots.  Let p0 be the probability that B is a member of S',
and let p1, p2, ... pw be the respective probabilities for the choices of
the respective members of our w_tuple given that B is a member of S.
[Multiplication by (1-p0) would give the respective unconditioned
probabilities.]

(3)  Let a1, a2, ... be the respective candidate score averages for ballots
in S.

(4)  elect the w-tuple with the greatest value of the expression

min(a1*p1, a2*p2, ...) - p0.

There are at least three good ways of defining the details of the random
ballot experiment.

(1)  The value p3, say, is the probability that candidate 3 would be the
highest rated candidate (from our w-tuple) on a randomly drawn ballot from
the set S.  If several candidates are tied in this respect, divide up the
probability (from Ballot B) equally among them..

(2)  The positive scores on every ballot B are normalized with respect to
the members of our w-tuple.  These normalized scores are averaged over S to
get the respective "random ballot" probabilities.

(3)  Use a Toby Pereira transformation to convert each range style ballot
into one hundred approval ballots.  Then use a random approval ballot
lottery on that set. I'll explain this in my next post ...