[EM] acceptable Chicken Proof methods (was chain climbing)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed May 28 20:25:53 PDT 2014

Kris,

Any form of pairwise sorting of the approval order (bubble sort, sink sort,
approval margins sort, etc.) is highly chicken resistant as long as the
approval cutoff is explicit as opposed to implicit:

For example, the ballot set

49 C
27 A >>B
24 B

will elect C under any of those methods, since in the approval order

no adjacent pair is out of order pairwise.

However, in a chicken situation if the A supporters like  B so much that
they cannot bring themselves to vote B below the approval cutoff, the B
voters can take advantage of this and get B elected.

So it is not quite as chicken proof as IRV (say), but I think that it is
adequately chicken proof: it adapts to either of the possible sincere
scenarios without requiring any order reversals or collapses ... just a
lowering of B below the approval cutoff in the case of the true preferences
being

49 C
27 A >B
24 B>A (or even B>>A)