[EM] TACC (total approval chain climbing) example

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed Apr 23 07:44:31 PDT 2014

Forest,

> 40 A>B>C
> 35 B>C>A
> 25 C>A>B

In this example ballot set of yours (which you say is the result of the
A faction burying against the sincere Condorcet Winner C) there is no reason
to suppose that any of the ballots are more likely to be insincere than
any of the others.

In this sort of situation (with 3 candidates in a cycle and all the
ballots containing the same amount of information) we should avoid
electing a candidate
X that is positionally dominated, especially by a candidate that
pairwise beats X.   In this case that just says "not C".

> 35 A>B>C
> 40 B>C>A
> 25 C>A>B

In this ballot set (which again you say is the result of the A faction
burying against C)  TACC elects C.  But again there isn't any
information on the ballots
that suggests that some ballots are more likely to be insincere than any
others.

So the result must be justifiable on the assumption that all the votes
are sincere. On these ballots C is positionally dominated and pairwise
beaten by B.
B also positionally dominates A.

Approval Margins, Approval Margins Sort, IRV, Benham, Woodall and all
other good  (and/or sane) methods elect B.

Chris Benham