[EM] TACC (total approval chain climbing) example

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Apr 23 12:47:31 PDT 2014

Chris,

What you say below makes perfect sense in a zero information election.

Now suppose the actual ballot set is

35 A>C
40 B>C
25 C>A

Then IRV elects A while Woodall/Benham abd TACC elect C.

Four years later the polls confirm that public opinion has not changed at
all from the above ballot set, so candidatee A convinces her supporters to
bury C. The ballot set becomes

35 A>B
40 B>C
25 C>A

Neither IRV nor TACC is affected by this burial, but Benham&Woodall reward
the A faction for their strategic order reversal.

It appears that IRV (in general) and TACC (at least in this case) are less
vulnerable to burial strategy than Benham/Woodall.

But let's take this case a little further.  Since the B supporters prefer
C over A, they have a strong incentive to protect C from this obvious
threat.  What can they do under IRV or Benham/Woodall?  They can betray
their favorite B and vote 40 C>B, which does get C re-elected, thus
rewarding their order reversal.

Forest