[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 118, Issue 8

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Apr 21 19:29:59 PDT 2014

Questions about compliances of Implicit Approval Chain Climbing

No, but since the approval order changed from B>A>C to B>C>A this is not a
test of mono raise winner; i.e. since C was also raised (in the approval
order) we shouldn't be surprised that C became the new winner.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 14:21:45 -0400
> From: Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com>
> To: "election-methods at electorama.com"
>         <election-methods at electorama.com>
> Subject: [EM] Fwd: Is Chain Climbing really independent of clones??

Steve,

you seem to overlook the possibility of equal rankings and truncations.  I
think that most voters would truncate at least one of the three cyclic
candidates along with the despised candidate.  Since the despised candidate
is covered there is no possibility of his election.

There are many deterministic ways of breaking ties in addition to the
random ones.

For example if two candidates are in bottom position on the same number of
ballots, the one ranked equal top on the most ballots comes out ahead of
the other one.

As I mentioned to Michael Ossipoff, all of these worries disappear if we
stick to score ballots, for example ballots with allowable scores 0, 1, ...
10.  If two candidates have the same number of zeroes, the one with the
fewest ones comes out ahead in the approval order. If that doesn't resolve
it, then the one with the fewest number of twos, etc. In the very rare case
that two candidates have identical distributions of scores, random ballot
can be used.

Forest