[EM] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 118, Issue 8

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 20:13:29 PDT 2014

About the Monotonicty and Clone-Independence issues regarding TACC:

I've never been very swayed by the Monotonicity criterion. Yes, when I was
only interested in current-conditions, I accordingly oppsed IRV, at that
time, because current conditions need FBC. And, I'll admit, at that time, I
used Monotnicity against IRV, even though FBC was my only only reason for
opposing IRV. But, I always made it clear that Monotonicity wasn't my
reason for opposing IRV, in those days when I opposed IRV because I was
only intereted in current conditions.

So I've never considered Monotonicity important. I've only been interested
in strategy criteria.

As someone who's been advocating Benham and Woodall all this time, and
continues to, clearly I don't evaluate voting systems by Monotonicity, and
clearly I don't consider nonmonotonicity a disqualification, even a little.

TACC's compliances can be debated, because the conclusion about any
critrerion-compliance depends on the full, detailed definition of the
criterion.

In this discussion of Benham, Woodall, and TACC, what's important?

I say it's MMC, CD, and, to a lesser-extent, Condorcet.

>From what I've heard (and haven't heard challenged), Benham, Woodall, and
TACC all meet MCC, CD, and Condorcet.

Clone-Independence is a desirable nice too, of course. TACC can have its
winner changed if a new candidate is added, whom everyone ranks  adjacently
to an old candidate, but across the ballots' approval cutoff.  . However we
define Clone-Independence, it can't be denied that TACC's clone-indepence
has a weak-spot. Whether or not that describes something that will happen
significantly often is a separate question that i won't try to answer.

Undeniably, Benham and Woodall  have the advantage that a new candidate
unniversally ranked adjacent to an old candidate can never change the
winner...period.

Of course in a comparison of one method versus another, there are various
different advantages to compare.

As Forest agreed, IRV's great familiarity and popularity, and the great
familiaity of runoffs, makes IRV, and therefore, Benham and Woodall, easy
to propose. That's an advantage for those methods.

But, in most comparisons of 2 methods, typically each has one or more
advantages over the other.

UMDT and Invulnerability to 2nd-Place Complaints are two such criteria in
this comparison.

If I there's a significant chance that a party will run two similar
parties, and that they'll straddle some voters' approval-cutoff, then
that would count against TACC.

I have to say that I'd be pleased for either one to be enacted in the Green
scenario, or be offered in a progressive party platform.

Say, that some progressive party is elected to office, and is the new
government, and that there's going to be public initiative or referendum
vote on choosing a voting system. (Say IRV is the initial voting system,
and the one in which the voting-system vote will be conducted).

I'd rank Benham, Woodall, and TACC adjacently, because they all comply with
MMC, CD, and Condorcet.  I trust that advocates of any one of those methods
would do the same.

In that initiative or referendum, there'd be no reason for advocates or
preferrers of any of those methods to propose or nominate their favorite.
...and may the most publicly-liked one win.

Michael Ossipoff