[EM] Participation Criteria and Bucklin - perhaps they *can* work together after all?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 13:41:26 PDT 2013

2013/6/17 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com>

> At 01:23 PM 6/17/2013, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>
>  2013/6/17 Benjamin Grant <<mailto:benn at 4efix.com>benn@**4efix.com<benn at 4efix.com>
>> >

>> Is *this* an example of Bucklin failing Participation?
>>
>> 5: A>B>C
>>
>> 4: B>C>A
>>
>> A wins
>>
>> Right
>>
>> But add these in:
>>
>> 2: C>A>B
>>
>>  B wins.
>>

>> Yes, with your "tiebreaker".
>>

> This is not participation failure. Adding ballots ranking C highest did
> not cause C to lose.

Abd, you're wrong. Adding B>A ballots caused A to lose; that is a
participation failure.

> By the way, an oddity about this example. Bucklin is ranked approval. Did
> all the voters approve all candidates?

You would prefer it if he had left the third candidate off for each voter
group. A less obtuse way to say that would be to say "I would have written
this scenario as ... because ...".

> Round 1. Majority is 5
>
> A wins in round 1.
>
> Adding the2 voters, majority is now 6.
>
> First round:
> A: 5
> B: 4
> C: 2
>
> no majority, go to next round.
>
> Second round:
> A: 7
> B: 4
> C: 6

No. B:9. If you are going to claim that 2 others are wrong, please check
your work before sending it out.