[EM] Participation Criteria and Bucklin - perhaps they *can* work together after all?

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Tue Jun 18 09:56:48 PDT 2013

At 03:41 PM 6/17/2013, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>2013/6/17 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax
><<mailto:abd at lomaxdesign.com>abd at lomaxdesign.com>
>At 01:23 PM 6/17/2013, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>
>2013/6/17 Benjamin Grant <<mailto:benn at 4efix.com>benn at 4efix.com>
>
>Is *this* an example of Bucklin failing Participation?
>
>5: A>B>C
>
>4: B>C>A
>
>A wins
>
>Right
>
>But add these in:
>
>2: C>A>B
>
>  B wins.
>

>Yes, with your "tiebreaker".
>

>This is not participation failure. Adding ballots ranking C highest
>did not cause C to lose.
>

>Abd, you're wrong. Adding B>A ballots caused A to lose; that is a
>participation failure.

I did err in my analysis. However, I would urge anyone tempted to
write "you are wrong" to be very careful. It's a big red flag that
one is, oneself, making some mistake. Would we not expect the
addition of B>A ballots to have the possibility of causing A to lose?

No, the added ballots were A>B ballots, at a lower ranking. The
failure comes from causing majority failure, thus pulling in deeper votes.

I had somehow failed to notice the B votes from the 5 voters. A wins
in the first round without the added votes, with a simple majority.
This is the  sequence, which Jameson did not explore specifically,
merely stating his result.

>>5: A>B>C
>>
>>4: B>C>A
>>
>>A wins
>>
>>Right
>>
>>But add these in:
>>
>>2: C>A>B
>>
>>  B wins.

A wins in the 9-voter case, by a simple majority. However, the
11-voter case has a new majority requirement, 6 votes instead of 5.

We have the situation here that a majority favoring A votes second
rank for B. In Range equivalents, often proposed as examples of "bad
Range behavior," we see the same kind of phenomenon asserted.

Under straight Bucklin, if there are two frontrunners, A and B, we
would expect *very few* additional votes for B, because the election
is very likely to reduce, then, to A vs B. So this is like examples
of alleged majority criterion failure based on the majority
suppressing its preference by voting for another candidate, who gets
a greater majority once they do that.

First round: (majority is 6)