[EM] brainstorm'n electoral calculus on acid...

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 15:40:44 PST 2012

> 1. I disagree; I do not think IRV will do well in the scenario you
> describe.

Well that's why we'd need to try it out....

> 2. It's too complex. We need toy models that focus on one aspect at a
> time, not anything that tries to be realistic. Think macroeconomics 101
> (saltwater), where anything that doesn't fit on one graph is put off until
> next year.

Nope.  The whole is more than the sum of its parts.  We can and should go
beyond Macro 101.

I'm willing to defend each part of the model here, but I think it as a
whole captures an environment where election rules have different effects
in a system where the center is somewhat opaque and parties are not
stationary or able to reposition themselves at will along the 1-d space
used by voters .

So "chicken"???
dlw