[EM] not fair.

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 14:25:26 PST 2012

2012/2/3 David L Wetzell <wetzelld at gmail.com>

> [sarcasm]Thanks for the constructive criticism of the model building
> process.
>
> I'm so sorry I haven't had as many pseudo-experimental models to buttress
> my args on this list.  They so commonly shed so much light on the matter,
> it's no wonder you all agree on so much...[/sarcasm]

We actually do agree on a lot. We talk about the stuff we don't agree on.

> Once again, you're the one w.o. any institutional backing.

OK, I'll go back to writing the voting server for Ubuntu then.

Seriously, you can do better than sarcasm. I think "simplify, simplify,
simplify" is in fact very constructive feedback on model-building. It's
exactly what I want to hear when I'm doing it.

>  I'm the guy defending a modified version of the status quo single-winner
> electoral alternative.  The burden of proof is on you more so than me,
> simply because the amount of time/energy spent educating folks about IRV is
> o.w. a sunk cost that will likely have to be repeated if we theoretically
> were to start over again.

Yes. What percent of US voters understand IRV? (Even if I substituted "US"
with "Cambridge" or "SF", I doubt you'd reach even half.) The sunk cost is
trivial relative to the size of the task.