[EM] Unger, wrt tabulation.

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 11:16:39 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2012/2/2 David L Wetzell <wetzelld at gmail.com>

>>> This is indeed possible, but it's several times harder than counting a
>>> truly summable method, especially an O(N) summable one.
>>>

>> Explain to me what you mean by that?
>>
>> The summing of rankings in the first stage is O(N), right?
>> The summing of the number of votes in each of the 10 categories is O(N),
>> right?
>>

> Yes. You can either do it in two rounds, or one round that's O(N^3).
> Either way, it's more than twice as hard as a one-round, O(N) count.

It's not twice as hard.  You just need to tally things up twice.

That's small potatoes.

>>  The rest is a simple EXCEL spreadsheet problem.
>>>

>>> And it's the only advantage of IRV3/AV3, because center
>>> squeeze/nonmonotonicity/Burlington still applies at full force
>>>

>> Unless, their full force isn't that strong in real life with a dynamic
>> center and regular repositioning by parties.  And a 20% chance of "sour
>> grapes" non-monotonicity in the infrequent case of a three-way competitive
>> race isn't enuf to change voter behavior significantly.  And once again,
>> Burlington has gotta be downscaled in its significance given the small
>> margin with which IRV was rescinded and the deceptive campaign waged
>> against it, and the likelihood that it's pathologies would have been easily
>> worked out with time...
>>
>> Earth to EM, Burlington is not a smoking gun...
>>

> Earth to David. Reality doesn't care how often you repeat nice-sounding
> phrases about how you think IRV would usually work. Unless you give reality
> a chance to change you're mind, you're just fooling yourself.

I do change my mind.  The fact I haven't wrt IRV is because I got a good
case and it is a huge non sequitur to presume that "the" solution to the
US's political problems is for it to become an EU-style multi-party
system....

Didn't you read RBJ's rebuke to your over-the-top rhetoric wrt IRV???

Y'all are trying to justify the large amount of time spent playing with
complicated single-winner election rules when the truth is that such is not
a pressing question for US_American electoral reform.

dlw