[EM] 'lection de trois

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 06:45:27 PST 2012

Duverger's law was based on the assumption of FPTP.  I'm being more
general, suggesting that any single-winner rule(apart from hybrids like a
2-stage rule) will
tend to get quirky when there's a competitive 3 way election, which will
tend to make it hard to sustain there being 3-competitive parties.  .

> to wit: Duverger suggests two reasons why single-member district plurality
> voting systems favor a two party system. One is the result of the "fusion"
> (or an alliance very like fusion) of the weak parties, and the other is the
> "elimination" of weak parties by the voters, by which he means that the
> voters gradually desert the weak parties on the grounds that they have no
> chance of winning.

I'm dealing with a fuzzy monster on this more general quirkiness of 3-way
competitive elections.  That's just one case.

>  On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com<mailto:
>> jameson.quinn at gmail.**com <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>>
>>        ..., cuz the simple fact of the matter is that IRV works best
>>        with only 3 candidates.
>>

> geez, i wish people used only plain text email.  or that the list server
> converted every post to plain text, perhaps wrapping lines at 70 columns.
>
>     2.5, actually.
>>

> yeah, i don't get the reasoning behind David's claim.  IRV works just as
> well with 4 or more candidates as with 3.  if there are 3 nearly equal
> candidates IRV may screw up just as bad as if there are 3 nearly equal
> candidates with more minor candidates added.  i am not assuming "IRV3".

dlw: Cuz, there's more opportunities for the order of elimination to make a
difference when you eliminate more candidates?

> I don't think there's a big diff between IRV w. 3 candidates and IRV with
> 4 candidates, but my debates with Dale Sheldon Hess have confirmed that
> according to the measures they found with simulations that IRV was closest
> to their favorites with only 3 candidates.
> --
>
> r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com

> From: Richard Fobes <ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org>

BTW, Richard, you're a pretty good dancer!!!  I saw the U-tube video from
your website...

> As for the U.S., the biggest (but not the only) election unfairness occurs
> in primary elections as a result of vote splitting.  "Special interests" --
> the people who give the largest amounts of money to election campaigns --
> have learned to give money to candidates in the primary elections of _both_
> the Republican party and the Democratic party (as needed), and give
> additional support to "spoiler" candidates when needed.  The result is that
> the money-backed candidate in each party's primary election wins, and then
> it doesn't much matter whether the Republican or the Democrat wins the
> "general election".

dlw: Our system is too entrepreneurial with pretty weak intra-party diffs
to maintain party brands against this sort of opportunism.
IRV(and other rules) gets rid of some primaries.

> Simply getting one political party or the other to use a fairer voting
> method (any of the ones supported by the Declaration of Election-Method
> Reform Advocates) in the primary elections would greatly improve the
> ability of voters to elect problem-solving leaders -- instead of
> special-interest puppets.  (After one party adopts such fairer primary
> elections, the other party would soon have to do the same or else risk
> losing lots of support.)

dlw: primaries are good places to push for electoral reform.

> That's all I have time to write now.
>
> Richard Fobes

dlw: Hmm, doesn't this cast a different light on the fact that in
Burlington VT the Republican voters were susceptible to tactical voting for
the Democratic candidate?

>   One cannot say that there'd never be a situation where such could arise
> with seemingly any election rule, which gets to my point that with IRV or
> IRV+ that the pressure to vote strategically incidence is on supporters of
> a major party that has been ideologically captured by its extreme and
> thereby refuses to re-center itself nearer to the true center.   And that's
> not the same thing as forcing dissenters from the two major parties to vote
> strategically....

dlw