[EM] NYT voting reform dialogue published today.

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 07:44:45 PST 2012

Here's the links and a quick summary of what was said:

Page 1<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/opinion/sunday/sunday-dialogue-rethinking-how-we-vote.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=opinion>
Liskov: Too complicated, just same-day primaries
Stevens: Iowa is good for "retail politics""
Steven Brams: IRV sucks, approval better.

Page 2:<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/opinion/sunday/sunday-dialogue-rethinking-how-we-vote.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&ref=opinion>
Szydlik: Threatens establishment, we need wide grassroots.
Donovan: Caucuses are undemocratic
Maskin (nobel-prize winning economist): Condorcet better (he calls it "true
majority rule <http://www.sss.ias.edu/files/pdfs/maskincv.pdf>")

Page 3:<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/opinion/sunday/sunday-dialogue-rethinking-how-we-vote.html?pagewanted=3&_r=1&ref=opinion>
Bullard: IRV good idea
Richie: responds, including approval-fails-majority-criterion argument.

So they didn't publish my letter, but my points were made by Brams,
Szydlik, and Maskin.

Jameson