[EM] My Bucklin multiwinner method turned more sequential

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at lavabit.com
Mon Feb 13 09:17:40 PST 2012

On 02/10/2012 11:18 PM, Ted Stern wrote:
> Hi Kristofer,
>
> I am very interested in PR multiwinner methods, especially those that
> use ER-Bucklin.
>
> However, I have a hard time following your logic.
>
> Would it be possible to work out a relatively simple example using a 3
> winner election, a Droop-like quota of 25% (just to make things easy),
> and two factions, one with 3 candidates and 55% of the vote (thus
> winning two seats), and another with two candidates and 45% of the
> vote (thus winning one seat)?
>
> Alternatively, you could use Warren Smith's 'real world' example with
> 9 seats and an 'Easy' Droop-like quota of 4 votes (10% of 39 votes =
> 3.9, plus 10% of one vote), to compare to other methods that can work
> with range ballots.
>
>    http://rangevoting.org/June2011RealWorldRRVvotes.txt
>
> My implementation of Bucklin Transferable Vote finds the following
> winners for that example:
>
>    {106,102,109,101,103,108,105,110,116}

Oops. This is where I pick up a brown paper bag and pull it over my
head, because after a little tinkering, I found out my code was wrong
and it didn't actually pass the DPC.

In facing that, I went with something a little more conventional, a
little more brute force, and I actually checked my DPC and monotonicity
test code more rigorously.

So I'll describe the new logic and then give an example with a 55%/45%
situation.

The advantage of my re-engineering is that the method now handles
truncated votes. The disadvantage is that it is no longer weakly summable.

The general idea is that we first look at all one-candidate constraints
given by the Droop proportionality criterion. We go through candidates
from best scored (according to a quota Bucklin variant) to worst, and
elect those that the one-candidate constraints says we should. Then,
with our council partially decided, we go to two-candidate constraints
and do the same: fill in, from best to worst, the candidates that are
consistent with passing the two-candidate constraints. And so on for the
three, four, ... n-candidate constraints. At any time, if the council is
full, that's the outcome and we return it.

Let's be more specific.

The altered method consists of three parts: the quota Bucklin procedure,
the DAC/DSC set generation, and the constraint satisfaction (eligibility
check). These parts are then joined in an outer procedure that brings it
all together.

---

The quota Bucklin procedure ranks candidates in order of a method that
only considers the candidates one at a time. It works like this:

Each candidate is associated with an array. This array consists first of
the rank at which the candidate exceeded one Droop quota worth of
points, then the rank at which the candidate exceeded two Droop quotas,
then three Droop quotas, and so on.
A candidate's array also has, as its last entry, the number of points it
had last time it exceeded some multiple of a Droop quota, negated.
If a candidate never exceeds k Droop quotas, it's considered to exceed k
Droop quotas at a rank equal to one more than the number of candidates.

The candidates are then sorted in less-first lexicographical order of
their arrays. For instance, if you have something like: