[EM] Jameson: MJ

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 3 09:43:41 PST 2012

I'd said:

> But I'd told how easily a strategic faction can take advantage of and beat
> a sincere-voting faction.

Not to my satisfaction.

[endquote]

Of course that won't do.

If you want to claim that my statements referred to were incorrect,
then you need to tell why you think so.

I clearly told how, in MJ, a strategizing faction can take advantage of a sincere faction. Which
part of that description do you disagree with? Be specific.

I'd said:

> Thanks, Kristofer, for confirming my conjecture: MJ strategy is like RV
> strategy.
>
> This is for sure: In a u/a election, MJ's strategy is the same as that of
> RV: Max-rate the acceptables and
> min-rate the unacceptables.

This is not true. If sending a message about the relative value within
either group is worth more than a thousand times less than winning the
election, the rational strategy is to use the top two and the bottom two
ratings.

[endquote]

Incorrect. In a u/a election, the all-important thing is ensuring that no
unacceptable candidate wins.

> I conjecture that, in a non-u/a, 0-info election, MJ's strategy is
> likewise identical to that of RV: Max-rate the
> above-mean candidates and min-rate the below-mean candidates.

As above.

[endquote]

Strategy whose purpose is the the outcome of the current election is called "instrumental strategy".

It's usually or always what we're referring to when we speak of a method's voting strategy.

I was talking about instrumental strategy. That can be, and often is, more important than
sending a message. But sure, if what you want is to send a message about a merit-difference among the
candidates for whom you'd vote for in instrumental Approval voting, then of course you might not do
instrumental voting.

Sometimes, in mock elections, in rating the candidates,
I have slightly differed from instrumental voting in order to express a difference.

But, above, I was talking about instrumental strategy. Maybe you wouldn't do instrumental
strategy. One thing for certain is that anyone who considers it a u/a election will do
instrumental strategy.

Mike Ossipoff