[EM] Weak Condorcet winners [was: FairVote are not thefriendliest]

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 22:24:16 PDT 2011

Dear James,

thanks for your comments.
Answers in the text below.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 12:53 AM, James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk>wrote:

> Peter Zbornik  > Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:04 PM
> > Well I think the argument that two-rounds systems are silly
> > and complex, can be countered with the fact that it is used
> > all throughout Europe and elsewhere.
>
> Yes, and the French Presidential election of 2002 showed us very clearly
> what is wrong with such two-round voting systems.

As Juho, wrote, that problem would be solved with my proposal.

> > I would say runoff
> > elections are the standard way of conducting single member
> > elections. Even though I have no data for this claim,
>
> Yes, I should like to see some hard data to back up that statement.

Since we have no data, and both of us probably won't bother enough to dig it
up, I change my claim above to "I would say runoff elections are one of the
two standard ways of conducting single member elections, the other one being
FPTP". I have no data for that claim too, but maybe you will agree to it
anyway. I simply don't know of any widely used single-winner election system
than those two.