[EM] Weak Condorcet winners [was: FairVote are not thefriendliest]

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 16:24:33 PDT 2011

2011/9/22 James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk>

> Peter Zbornik  > Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:04 PM
> > Well I think the argument that two-rounds systems are silly
> > and complex, can be countered with the fact that it is used
> > all throughout Europe and elsewhere.
>
> Yes, and the French Presidential election of 2002 showed us very clearly
> what is wrong with such two-round voting systems.
>
> In all fairness, Peter is not proposing TTR. I believe that there is clear
evidence that any good system would have promoted the "correct" result (I
forget the name), so Le Pen would not have made it to any of the runoffs
Peter proposes.

Jameson

ps. On the other hand, a runoff is out of the question for US presidential
elections. Unlike summable single-round systems, a runoff cannot be grafted
on top of the EC using an NPV-like interstate compact.