[EM] Weak Condorcet winners [was: FairVote are not the friendliest]

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 11:22:11 PDT 2011

Hi Jameson,

I think the multiple round system (as described in my previous email
today and several others) might be a the best way to get combined
support for one single method on this list.

If we skip the issues about political support for the method, I think
a good method that everyone approves might be constructed as follows:

Precondition:
(1) We have a set of voting methods V - example: Schulze, IRV,
Majority Judgement, Score, Approval, SODA, IRV-Condorcet.
(2) Every method has a ranking based on its results in previous
elections, similar to the way tennis players have a ranking on the ATP
tour etc., for instance the ranking from best (1) to worst (7) is (1.
Schulze, 2. IRV, 3. Majority Judgement, 4. Score, 5. Approval, 6.
SODA. 7. IRV-Condorcet).

(3) Round 1: The voter casts one or more ballots and the election
winner for each method is elected.
(4) Round 2:
There are two optiond for round 2:
Option 1: The voter ranks the different winners on a ranked ballot. In
order to avoid preferring a method before an other, a
tournament-system is used, like in a tennis tournament.
The winner from the method with the highest ranking meets the winner
from the method with the lowest ranking (if sevral methods give the
same winner, then the method with the highest ranking is used). The
winner from the method with the second to highest ranking meets the
winner from the method with the second to lowest ranking.
Example: Schulze, IRV and IRV-condorcet elect candidate A. Majority
Judgement elect candidate B, Score and SODA elect C and Approval elect
D.
The rankings (high to low) of the candidates: 1. A, 2. B, 3. C, 4. D.
A meets D and B meets C in a run-off and the winners of the two
run-offs meet in a second round.
The all the winners are determined by the ranked ballot.
Option 2: The voter only elects between the first tier in the
tournament. In the example the voter votes between A vs D and B vs C.
Then the ballots are counted and a third round is held for the finals
between the two winners from the last round.
(5) After the elections the ratings of the methods are updated
according to their performance (this system has to be invented), for
instance as in Tennis or some other sport, where the tournament system
is used.

This is in some sence a unified and fair approach which helps unifying
election reformers, and at the same time allows for the testing of new
methods like SODA without potentially disastrous consequences. A new
election method is just a new player on the tour so to say.

And at the end of each election season, we would finally know which
election method won the tour :o)

Best regards
Peter Zborník