[EM] Robert Bristow Johnson wrt Burlington et al.

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 11:29:02 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2011/11/27 David L Wetzell <wetzelld at gmail.com>
>
>> meh,
>> I don't want to take bet number 1.
>>

> Understood. Please notice what you're saying here: you think you are
> unlikely in practice (less than 17%, if you were a rational
> money-maximizer) to convince people on this list to line up behind IRV. I
> obviously agree with this assessment, or I would not have offered the bet.

Maybe, I'm risk averse?  I think a plurality of you would at least
strategically support IRV, but you framed it as a majority.

> So, what does that mean for the utility of signing the statement? I know
> how I'd answer that question, but I want to know how you do.

dlw: I don't think the statement is going to make much of a diff either
way.  Electoral reform in the USA is more of a marketing problem than an
analytical problem.  IOW, the ps dominate the xs and it's going to be hard
to get you all to agree on the best x so as to elevate its p.

>> So I'll take bet number 2,
>>

> OK, we'll talk off-list about settling the details of bet 2 ("10 years
> from now, IF there have been over 20 independent cases of voting reform in
> the USA, then 10 of them will/will not be IRV.")

sure.
dlw