[EM] An ABE solution

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 02:18:18 PST 2011

> "Indeed, the three slot case does appear to satisfy the FBC as well."
>
> Isn't there a "not" missing from that sentence?

Do you have an example?

>  The main "practical purpose" of the FBC as I see it is to assist in
> marketing the method by giving
> voters an absolute guarantee.

I sympathize, but I think that the FBC guarantee is even stronger than
needed.

My perspective is the following:
1. Most real-world elections will have a sincere CW, although that might
not be visible from the ballots.
1a. Those elections without a sincere CW don't really have a "wrong
answer", so I don't worry as much about the pathologies in that case.
2. Therefore, we can divide FBC-violating strategies into two (overlapping)
classes: those which work when there is not a CW among the other voters,
which I will call "offensive" strategies, and which usually work by
creating a false cycle; and those which work when there is no CW among the
other voters, which I will call "defensive".
3. I consider that a method with no "offensive" FBC violations is good
enough. That's why I've used those labels: why would "defensive" strategies
be a problem if "offensive" ones weren't?

Jameson